ISSUE DATE: May 1, 2018
Devon social venture, The Bshirt, supports Medela UK’s ‘The Big Breastfeeding Café’ event - as survey finds talking to other mums is truly the best support
The Bshirt is proud to be supporting Medela UK’s local ‘The Big Breastfeeding Café’, set to take place on Tuesday 15th May 2018.
The event at The Orchard Café in Abbotskerswell is part of a nationwide campaign, which returns for its third year running, to demonstrate the importance of mum to mum support and raise awareness of breastfeeding in society.
Medela is once again bringing mums across the UK together to host their very own cafes in the comfort of home, a local coffee shop, or even a nearby hall. Mums are encouraged to celebrate and chat all things breastfeeding, share experiences and support each other over a cuppa and a treat this spring.
- Where: Orchard Cafe and Deli, The Square, Wain Ln, Abbotskerswell, Devon TQ12 5NT
- Date: Tuesday 15th May 2018
- Time: From 2pm
Sophie Thompson, Founder of Baby Bloom Development who has organised the event with café owner Sam commented: “During my classes I still regularly hear stories from mums who have received negative, sometimes unkind, comments or have been made to feel uncomfortable whilst breastfeeding their babies in public. The aim of the Big Breastfeeding Cafe is to normalise breastfeeding and support mums in their choice to do so. Our hope is that women feel empowered and confident in their decision and are not influenced by the fear of being shamed.”
The Bshirt is delighted to be attending and lending support, having recently celebrated their 1st Birthday and the launch of their ‘Breastfeed Here with Confidence’ badge. The scheme has already been adopted by a number of South West cafés and eateries including Riverford’s Field Kitchen and The Green Table Café in Dartington.
Founded by two Devon based mumpreneurs in March 2017, The Bshirt is a multi-award-winning ethical breastfeeding clothing brand, which has quickly gained endorsements from leading influencers and experts - including breastfeeding specialist, author and midwife Clare Byam-Cook.
With both the NHS and Unicef listing embarrassment at feeding in public as a major barrier to breastfeeding, the team have been thrilled with feedback from customers which has highlighted 83% feeling more confident feeding in front of others while wearing their Bshirts*.
Lisa and Philippa will be at the event helping to highlight the importance of empowering mums to breastfeed with confidence. Commenting on the launch of their scheme, they said: “There are lots of public places such as cafes, restaurants and shops that are happy to have breastfeeding babies on their premises - but it may not be obvious to new mums that this is the case. We hope that by allowing this scheme to be widely available to anyone who wants to make breastfeeding women feel welcome that we can help to change that.”
A recent survey completed by over 1,400 mums for Medela UK found that 50% of those questioned believe the most helpful breastfeeding advice and support they received came from local breastfeeding support groups, and family and friends. Ranking significantly higher than all other channels including midwives and GPs, parenting books and websites. The new results show just how valuable speaking to other mums can be. Medela UK’s Education Manager and in-house Lactation Consultant, Sioned Hilton commented:
“The Big Breastfeeding Café continues to be a brilliant way to demonstrate the importance of mum to mum support and raise awareness of breastfeeding in society. We know that breastfeeding can be challenging but we also know that a problem shared, is often a problem halved. Ensuring that all breastfeeding mums have a reassuring and supportive network around them is vital which is why Medela is passionate about encouraging local, mum to mum support with its Big Breastfeeding Café.”
To find out more about The Bshirt, their ‘Breastfeed Here with Confidence’ badge and to register interest or to nominate your favourite venue, please visit, www.thebshirt.co.uk.
Mums taking part in The Big Breastfeeding Café 2018 will receive a complete package of everything they need to host a Breastfeeding Café, including expert advice from Medela’s in-house Lactation Consultant, posters, invitations, surprise treats and some all-important tea and biscuits! To sign up, mums simply need to pop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to Editors –
*Findings from Bshirt customer feedback survey
About The Bshirt…
- The Bshirt is a social venture founded by two mumpreneurs with many years of breastfeeding experience between them. Leading the way to improve new mums’ confidence and help to make breastfeeding even more accessible - literally - friends and founders Phillipa Doyle and Lisa Lessware officially launched The Bshirt in March 2017.
- Co-Founder Lisa initially had the idea for The Bshirt after giving birth to her son. As she struggled to find easy to wear clothes for breastfeeding from her own wardrobe, keen crafter Lisa set out to tailor her own breastfeeding vest which would enable her to continue to wear both long and short sleeved tops. Following numerous requests for the same design from family and friends (Phillipa being one of the first) - the first Bshirt was born.
- After working to refine the design based on customer feedback from mums, the new brand is already gaining global interest.
- The UK currently has one of the lowest breastfeeding rates in the world and the NHS and UNICEF both list embarrassment as a key barrier to breastfeeding. The Bshirt is designed to improve confidence while breastfeeding.
- Available to buy online and with independent stockists, collections also include necklaces and breast pads. Profits from the sale of the Bshirt will be donated to established UK charities that support breastfeeding women.
- To find out more about the ‘Breastfeed Here with Confidence’ badge scheme, register interest or to nominate your favourite venue, please visit, www.thebshirt.co.uk.
- GOLD (first prize) with Best Baby and Toddler Gear 2017 for Best Breastfeeding Clothing Brand
- Platinum (first prize) with Loved By Parents 2017 for Best Feeding Top
- Finalists for Made for Mums 2017 Breastfeeding Accessory
- Lift the Flap, Bshirt - Lift the Flap, £21.99 each ~ £37.99 for any two. Available in sizes 6 – 20. Colours - white/ black/ grey/ navy / plum
- Medela have been supporting breastfeeding mothers for over 50 years, and thanks to their extensive research into the science of breastfeeding their breast pumps are trusted and loved by parents, celebrities and healthcare professionals across the globe. Their breast pumps have won countless awards, including a Which? Best Buy and are found in 94% of UK hospitals.
- Medela are dedicated to providing the best possible support to mothers, and their In-House Lactation Consultant Sioned Hilton is always on hand to offer advice and support. The brand run a weekly Breastfeeding Café via their social media pages to ensure mums can access expert advice wherever they may be which has undoubtedly become an invaluable resource for mums.
- For more information on the Medela UK ‘The Big Breastfeeding Café’ events, please contact Emily at bumpPR on 01462 613 002 or email email@example.com
For further information about The Bshirt, to request high resolution images, or to arrange interview time with co-founders Philippa Doyle or Lisa Lessware, please contact:
Laura Quick – firstname.lastname@example.org / 07807809119